Looking for the next big thing? An opportunity to work in Amsterdam’s famous Art Deco restaurant Café Americain, in the same building that houses the very first Hard Rock Hotel of the Netherlands? We are looking for an Executive Chef who dishes out the most innovative culinary creations and enjoys taking Café American to next stage. Then you may well be the new culinary legend of Café Americain.
In the fifties, this had already established itself as a meeting place for Amsterdam locals; today, it has acquired iconic status next to Hard Rock Hotel Amsterdam American, which offers a truly phenomenal view of the Leidseplein. This well-known Art Deco restaurant is a modern brasserie that is breaking new ground with a blend of ‘class’ and ‘classics’. From early morning till late at night. Café Americain represents historic allure - according to the 21st century. Excellent quality, an accessible style, and brimming with personality. In addition to Amsterdam items on the All Day menu, it also offers Dutch ingredients.
Eden Hotels has built a compelling collection of city centre hotels over two generations. Our hands-on approach combines decades of industry expertise with business insight, enabling each and every colleague to reach their full potential. We take great pleasure in creating local experiences and lasting memories for our guests. With our 14 hotels, we are located in all the great cities and surprising places in the Netherlands. We know everything about our cities and ensure that the guest feels like part of our family. With our ambition to grow internationally, our mission is to start providing that same excellent service and experience across Europe. We have exciting times ahead with major projects on the horizon, so it's a great time to get on board!
The Chef is the main act of the kitchen. In addition to creating tasteful masterpieces, you will be responsible for the day-to-day operations involving the kitchen and the stewarding. Supervising and coordinating the team comes natural to the Chef, whether you are at the passe guiding the a la carte or creating the next big event. You’re known to be a motivator, an encourager, down to earth and an inspiration to your team. You make sure that every single plate presented to guests is of the best quality and you constantly keep up with all Hard Rock quality standards according to HACCP and NSF. Creating new menus within the French Cuisine is your area of expertise, that’s why you are not only in charge of the menus of Café Americain, but also of Bar Americain, Room Service, Banqueting and Rock Royalty.
This job description reflects the position’s essential functions; it does not encompass all of the tasks that may be assigned.
- Creates an atmosphere that induces guests to make Café Americain their favorite restaurant.
- Responsible for actively building and retaining guest relations and acts as a mentor to team members in order to provide superior guest service.
- Hires, trains, motivates, evaluates, and supervises staff in order to ensure that employees receive adequate guidance and resources to accomplish established objectives.
- Supervises all Hard Rock Hotel Amsterdam American food outlets, kitchen personnel, and stewarding.
- Understands vision and department objectives, standards, guidelines, and budget to achieve effective supervision of department.
- Establishes and maintains training and development procedures to ensure superior guest service standards are achieved.
- Plans menus considering marketing conditions, popularity of various dishes, recent menus, and religious or other holidays.
- Checks methods of food preparation and cooking, sizes of portions, and garnishing of foods by tasting.
- Procures food supplies and kitchen equipment from approved suppliers as needed, and approve the quality of foods received.
- Responsible for storage of food items to ensure quality of food and compliance with health requirements.
- Actively involved with purchasing department to ensure high quality of food products.
- Consults with catering sales manager and clients to create, adapt, and tailor special menu.
- Responsible for tracking food cost variances and adjusting such prices to food items that will result in net profit.
- Required to meet budgetary guidelines for food cost, labor cost and miscellaneous costs.
- Attend and participate in meetings, completing follow-up as assigned.
What do we expect from you
- Passionate & Familiarity with the French Cuisine; Brasserie style.
- SVH Leermeester.
- HACCP certificate.
- 5 Years of experience as a Chef in a similar kitchen.
- You know exactly how to motivate your team and include them in your enthusiasm.
- Independent, creative and empathic.
- Management skills.
- Motivator, encourager, inspirer, teambuilder.
- Flexible about working hours and duties.
- Have knowledge of products/ingredients, calculations and menu composition.
- You live in the Amsterdam area.
Handy to have
- Not averse to rotating and weekend shift and working on public holidays.
What can you expect from us?
- A full-time contract (with an intention to extend).
- A gross salary from €6.000,00* per month (based on full-time employment).
- Hard Rock Hotel Amsterdam American is part of Eden Hotel Group.
- The Eden Basics are in good hands with us. Think good collective insurances and a travel allowance.
- Two free nights per year in an Eden Hotel of your choice.
- Substantial discount on even more nights, also for Family & Friends.
- Team member and family room rate discount at Hard Rock Hotels.
- Inhouse experience at Hard Rock Hotel Amsterdam American.
- 25 days of holiday (based on fulltime contract) and the option to buy 5 extra days of holiday.
- Continued self-development at the School of Hard Rock.
- Bicycle scheme via the company scheme.
- Have your online orders conveniently delivered to the hotel.
- A nice colleague bonus scheme.
- Great colleagues and lots of (creative) freedom.
- Cosy events and of course a nice gift for all the great moments in life.
- At Hard Rock Hotel Amsterdam American, we value equality and diversity. Your gender, ethnicity, age or orientation make no difference during the application process. We are a company where everyone feels welcome and can be themselves. Whether you are young, slightly older, a student or a returnee.
*Salary is based on the Hospitality Collective Labour Agreement wage scale when the candidate is 21 years of age or older.