Are you a jolly, fun loving personality? You now have the chance to learn in Amsterdam’s famous ambitious Art Deco restaurant Café Americain, which also houses the very first Hard Rock Hotel in the Netherlands! Every guest is in good hands with you, you make sure they are well taken care off. Will your career start at Café Americain?
Get ready for an exciting learning period in which no day is the same! As an F&B apprentice, you perform an important role in the success of Café Americain. Under the guidance of your teacher you carefully prepare the mise-en-place, because preparation is half the work. You’re always ‘on’, because along with your colleagues you make sure every guest leaves the Café Americain happy. You enjoy working hard and supporting your colleagues in operational tasks. You thereby jointly contribute to ensuring that Café Americain continues to deliver the highest level of service to its guests.
In the fifties, this had already established itself as a meeting place for Amsterdam locals; today, it has acquired iconic status next to the Hard Rock Hotel Amsterdam American, which offers a truly phenomenal view of the Leidseplein. This well-known Art Deco restaurant is a modern brasserie that is breaking new ground with a blend of ‘class’ and ‘classics’. From early morning till late at night. Café Americain represents historic allure - according to the 21st century. Excellent quality, an accessible style, and brimming with personality. In addition to Amsterdam items on the All Day menu, it also offers Dutch ingredients.
- Be thoroughly familiar with all menu items, including ingredients and food allergens, and wine list in order to assist guests and answer questions accurately;
- Ensure restaurant is clean and in order at all times, including tables, chairs, floors, walls, ceilings, lighting, temperature, music, and décor;
- Ensure sequence of service is followed for all guests;
- Greet guests, take food and beverage orders, and suggestive sell;
- Serve food and beverages, ensuring timeliness, completeness, and accuracy;
- Maintain positive and professional communication with all staff;
- Maintain tables by clearing finished plates, glassware, silverware, trash, and other items;
- Polish and set up china, glassware, silverware, and service items;
- Be knowledgeable of property facilities, services, hours of operation, in-house events, conferences, and amenities to proactively assist guests.
This job description reflects the position’s essential functions; it does not encompass all of the tasks that may be assigned.
Experience, Education and Certifications
- You follow a course through apprenticeship level III or level IV.
- You have a high level of responsibility and are service oriented;
- You have a presentable appearance;
- You have excellent communication and service-related skills;
- You are highly motivated, a flexible personality, with the ability to handle stress well;
- You have a proactive attitude, are creative and you see everything that happens;
- You are familiar with Micros (POS system);
- Thorough knowledge of wines and drinks, or at least you are keen to learn more about it.
- You are fluent in Dutch and English. Any other language? Fantastic! The more the merrier.
- Ability to move throughout the business (standing, walking, kneeling, bending) for extended periods of time;
- Ability to make repeating movements of the arms, hands, and wrists;
- Ability to express or exchange ideas verbally and perceive sound by ear;
- Manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and ability to work with hand above shoulders;
- Ability to occasionally move objects (lift, push, pull, balance, carry) up to 50 pounds / 25 kilograms;
- Ability to turn or twist body parts in a circular motion;
- Ability to tolerate work under pressure due to peaks in workload;
- Ability to tolerate exposure to heat, cold, chemicals, and loud/noisy environment.
- Not averse to rotating and weekend shifts, and working on public holidays;
- Passion for music and knowledge of music trends preferred.
What can you expect from us
- A dynamic yet congenial work environment;
- A salary conform Horeca CAO for students;
- Room for development, own initiative and growth;
- A dynamic, nice and amicable work environment;
- Discount on overnight stays and F&B in the hotels within our group;
- Capacity for own creativity and initiative;
- Training and career opportunities;
- Collective health insurance;
- Inhouse experience after probation period.