Do you get more excited from combining flavours then the last Netflix production? Then your career might start in Amsterdam’s famous Art Deco restaurant Café Americain, which also houses the very first Hard Rock Hotel in the Netherlands.
Get ready for an exciting learning period in which no day is the same! As an apprentice cook, you perform an important function in ensuring the success of Café Americain. Under the guidance of your teacher you carefully prepare the mise-en-place, because a good cook knows that preparation is everything! You’re always ‘on’, because along with your kitchen colleagues you make sure each dish is of high quality. You enjoy working hard, replenishing stocks and supporting your colleagues in operational tasks. You thereby jointly contribute to ensuring that Café Americain continues to deliver the highest quality to its guests.
In the fifties, this had already established itself as a meeting place for Amsterdam locals; today, it has acquired iconic status next to the Hard Rock Hotel Amsterdam American, which offers a truly phenomenal view of the Leidseplein. This well-known Art Deco restaurant is a modern brasserie that is breaking new ground with a blend of ‘class’ and ‘classics’. From early morning till late at night. Café Americain represents historic allure - according to the 21st century. Excellent quality, an accessible style, and brimming with personality. In addition to Amsterdam items on the All Day menu, it also offers Dutch ingredients.
- Maintain cleanliness continually by throwing away trash, wiping down work area, cleaning equipment, and returning utensils;
- Report safety, sanitation, and other similar violations to the chef;
- Receive and store food according to standards, ensuring all product is rotated and items are stored at proper temperatures;
- Set up stations, including utensils, equipment, and other needed items;
- Prepare sauces, dressings, salads, and cold plated items;
- Ensure all items are prepared according to recipe cards, plating guides, and photographs and or according to chef’s orders;
- Follow kitchen safety procedures at all times;
- Check the fridges and freezer for products and stock (THT, FIFO, HACCP.);
- Produce following recipes and checks.
This job description reflects the position’s essential functions; it does not encompass all of the tasks that may be assigned.
Experience, Education and Certifications
- You follow a course through apprenticeship level III or level IV.
- You are enthusiastic and flexible - because each day is different in the kitchen;
- You are a good team player but can also work independently;
- You have the ability to cope with stress, handle time pressure well and always take the initiative;
- You are creative and are good at working collaboratively;
- You have a genuine affinity for the kitchen;
- You live in the Amsterdam area.
- Ability to move throughout the business (standing, walking, kneeling, bending) for extended periods of time;
- Ability to make repeating movements of the arms, hands, and wrists;
- Ability to express or exchange ideas verbally and perceive sound by ear;
- Manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and ability to work with hand above shoulders;
- Ability to occasionally move objects (lift, push, pull, balance, carry) up to 50 pounds / 25 kilograms;
- Ability to turn or twist body parts in a circular motion;
- Ability to tolerate work under pressure due to peaks in workload;
- Ability to tolerate exposure to heat, cold, chemicals, and loud/noisy environment.
- Not averse to rotating and weekend shift and working on public holidays;
What can you expect from us
- A dynamic yet congenial work environment;
- Room for showing personal initiative and for self-development;
- A salary conform Horeca CAO for students;
- Capacity for own creativity and initiative;
- Training and career opportunities;
- Inhouse experience after probation period;
- Discount on overnight stays and F&B in the hotels within our group.