You are a true Early Bird and you know breakfast is the most important meal of the day. An opportunity to work in Amsterdam’s famous Art Deco restaurant Café Americain, which also houses the very first Hard Rock Hotel in the Netherlands.
You will prepare a la carte dishes and the buffet for the breakfast. Your job will be to ensure that the dishes leave the kitchen if they not only taste good, but look good as well. Guests will start their day with a sunshine after your breakfast. As a Breakfast Cook, you are of course fully familiar with the latest cooking techniques, food trends and ingredients. Eggs do not have any secrets for you! After the breakfast you make sure the mice en place for the next day and the orders are done accordingly.
In the fifties, this had already established itself as a meeting place for Amsterdam locals; today, it has acquired iconic status next to the Hard Rock Hotel Amsterdam American, which offers a truly phenomenal view of the Leidseplein. This well-known Art Deco restaurant is a modern brasserie that is breaking new ground with a blend of ‘class’ and ‘classics’. From early morning till late at night. Café Americain represents historic allure - according to the 21st century. Excellent quality, an accessible style, and brimming with personality. In addition to Amsterdam items on the All Day menu, it also offers Dutch ingredients.
This job description reflects the position’s essential functions; it does not encompass all of the tasks that may be assigned.
- Maintain cleanliness continually by throwing away trash, wiping down work area, cleaning equipment, and returning utensils;
- Receive and store food according to standards, ensuring all product is rotated and items are stored at proper temperatures;
- Set up stations, including utensils, equipment, and other needed items;
- Carry out interim quality checks (taste, color, fluidity, etc.) and, where necessary, carry out adjustments;
- Providing cold and warm breakfast buffet;
- Check the fridges and freezer for products and stock (THT, FIFO, HACCP.);
- Bake breads on the oven program to ensure continuity;
- Apply various egg preparations at the request of the guests;
- Responsible for the cleaning activities of the department, fridges, buffet.
Experience, Education and Certifications
- MBO level 2 or 3 working and thinking level;
- Demonstrable knowledge of basic cooking techniques;
- Knowledge of products and ingredients.
- You are enthusiastic and flexible;
- You are a good team player but can also work independently;
- You have the ability to cope with stress, handle time pressure well and always take the initiative;
- You are creative and are good at working collaboratively;
- You have a genuine affinity for the kitchen;
- You live in the Amsterdam area.
- Ability to move throughout the business (standing, walking, kneeling, bending) for extended periods of time;
- Ability to make repeating movements of the arms, hands, and wrists;
- Ability to express or exchange ideas verbally and perceive sound by ear;
- Manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and ability to work with hand above shoulders;
- Ability to occasionally move objects (lift, push, pull, balance, carry) up to 50 pounds / 25 kilograms;
- Ability to turn or twist body parts in a circular motion;
- Ability to tolerate work under pressure due to peaks in workload;
- Ability to tolerate exposure to heat, cold, chemicals, and loud/noisy environment.
- Not averse to rotating and weekend shifts and working on public holidays.
What can you expect from us?
- A dynamic yet congenial work environment;
- Competitive salary;
- Room for development, own initiative and growth;
- A dynamic, nice and amicable work environment;
- Discount on overnight stays and F&B in the hotels within our group;
- Capacity for own creativity and initiative;
- Training and career opportunities;
- Collective health insurance;
- Inhouse experience after probation period.