Do you feel at ease in the lively environment of a kitchen and want to develop your culinary skills to the next level? Prepping for lunch or organising the MEP for the evening, the Executive Chef can rely on you! We have the opportunity to work in Amsterdam’s famous Art Deco restaurant Café Americain, which will also house the very first Hard Rock Hotel in the Netherlands.
As a kitchen help, you perform an important function in ensuring the success of Café Americain. You ensure that the rest of the team can perform their work undisturbed. Apart from performing the cleaning and tidying work as required, you will also be responsible for preparing products and setting up (auxiliary) equipment. You enjoy working hard, replenishing stocks and supporting your colleagues in operational tasks. You thereby jointly contribute to ensuring that Café Americain continues to deliver the highest quality to its guests.
In the fifties, this had already established itself as a meeting place for Amsterdam locals; today, it has acquired iconic status next to the Hard Rock Hotel Amsterdam American, which offers a truly phenomenal view of the Leidseplein. This well-known Art Deco restaurant is a modern brasserie that is breaking new ground with a blend of ‘class’ and ‘classics’. From early morning till late at night. Café Americain represents historic allure - according to the 21st century. Excellent quality, an accessible style, and brimming with personality. In addition to Amsterdam items on the All Day menu, it also offers Dutch ingredients.
- Restock kitchen supplies from storage and dishwash area;
- Cleaning the work area;
- Preparing kitchen sections for service period;
- Preparing small and simple dishes during serving period;
- Making MEP for several shifts;
- Work as a team, helping all employees to complete the required activities that ensure we deliver Amplified Service;
- Always smile and offer a warm greeting to all;
- Take initiative to offer assistance throughout the property.
This job description reflects the position’s essential functions; it does not encompass all of the tasks that may be assigned.
Experience, Education and Certifications
- Secondary school degree preferred and/or previous work experience in service for at least 1 year.
- You are enthusiastic and flexible;
- You are a good team player but can also work independently;
- You have the ability to cope with stress, handle time pressure well and always take the initiative;
- You are creative and are good at working collaboratively;
- You have a genuine affinity for the kitchen;
- You live in the Amsterdam area.
- Ability to move throughout the business (standing, walking, kneeling, bending) for extended periods of time;
- Ability to make repeating movements of the arms, hands, and wrists;
- Ability to express or exchange ideas verbally and perceive sound by ear;
- Manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and ability to work with hand above shoulders;
- Ability to occasionally move objects (lift, push, pull, balance, carry) up to 50 pounds / 25 kilograms;
- Ability to turn or twist body parts in a circular motion;
- Ability to tolerate work under pressure due to peaks in workload;
- Ability to tolerate exposure to heat, cold, chemicals, and loud/noisy environment.
- Not averse to rotating and weekend shift and working on public holidays;
What can you expect from us
- A dynamic yet congenial work environment;
- Competitive salary;
- On-call contract;
- Room for development, own initiative and growth
- A dynamic, nice and amicable work environment;
- Discount on overnight stays and F&B in the hotels within our group;
- Capacity for own creativity and initiative;
- Training and career opportunities;
- Collective health insurance.